Saturday, July 9, 2011

A heat unlike any other. The first day in Qatar

I finally arrived last night, and after a refreshing 3 hrs of sleep I woke up at 0400 to get the day going. Now I know I exaggerate a lot, however this time there is no exaggeration. I really wish there was a way to describe this. Its very unique. The only thing close to what I can say this feels like is if you were to bring a blow dryer to the beach and turn it on high while laying in the sun.  Its very dry, the dust just hangs in the air, and when the wind blows it actually hurts the skin.  Very unique heat, at 0130 this morning It was still easily 95 degrees out and as I type this it's about 115. Being 7 hrs ahead of east coast time it also makes it highly unlikely I can chat with my kids until the weekend. My workload isn't too bad and my projects are really cool. I actually look forward to performing the job. About as much as I look forward to going home already. I miss my wife and kids terribly and really without them around life sucks. I've always said the worst places on earth would not be bad if I had my family with me. Granted this place isn't all that bad and the food is good ( and free) I am also afforded opportunities to go off base occasionally for official work. Yet I just cannot get past the fact that If I want to improve my running which I desperately need to do I have to wake up at 0400 so I can run when its in the low 90's.  I can now see why this culture hates the west so much. I too would hate the earth if I lived in hell 24/7.  To the typical hater this would look like complaining and those that think everything is a dick measuring contest will say others have it worse.  You are correct they do, but I dont care about others. Im talking about my present situation. Hopefully im gonna grab some zzz's and catch up on rest. I wont resume workouts until Monday when my body normalizes

No comments:

Post a Comment