Saturday, May 11, 2013

How do you overcome a lack of support, or when facing adversity

When it comes to taking care Of yourself and beginning an exercise regimine the opportunity for failure is so high, why is that?  Is it due to a lack of support system? Do those close to you not care or encourage you?  Is it lack of education, maybe an injury, or simply is it just too hard?   I've thought about this topic all week simply because I've never had an actual support system. No one shares the same care or compassion or even drive to get in the gym as I do.  Simple posting of a progress photo on Facebook will show you that.  I guess it should have been easy for me to just say screw it.  No lifting partners. No support from loved ones, essentially no one really giving a shit.  Which proves to me that you don't really need a support system if you have the motivation to get it done and achieve the end result.

It's very discouraging for me when I achieve a personal milestone and I try to brag to my wife about it and she doesn't bat an eye or take her face away from the TV. Which is fine, I'm doing this for me anyhow.  For those of you out there hitting the grind and feeling like your efforts are fruitless because you lack any support system keep at it.  The goal is health and getting better, not building egos.

Off to do some dead lifts.  Had a great week in the gym, otherwise it was a shitty week all around.  The gym keeps me centered

2 comments:

  1. Good post Joe. Couldn't agree more nor could this mirror my lifting experience any closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've become so used to it not only are the comments expected. But as I've tried in the past to lift with partners etc almost all have never panned out. You get into your own routine and become accustomed to it. I thrive on it I think

      Delete