Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dynamic Tension, Holding that last rep to increase the shape.

I've read a lot of fitness literature in the last decade. I've seen a dozen and tried a dozen different workouts. In every workout that i've tried that has been one constant. That is Dynamic Tension, or holding that last contraction as tight as you can for as long as you can. It's these little tiny details that really add shape, and depth to the muscle and can benefit anyone in any age shape or sex. For women who are trying to tone to those who want to step on stage, you will often hear those who compete that they still see increases in size and shape of their muscles when they practice posing.   When you hold that last rep and squeeze as hard as you can you create occlusion or cutting off the blood flow to the muscle cell. What this does is increase demand on the sarcoplasm. Sarcoplasm is the liquid glucose in the muscle cells that contain all the goodies, its the energy of the cell, and its just one more component of the muscle cell that you be exerted and effect the strength size an shape of a muscle.  Often you see many routines will do static holds,  slower reps etc.  This is all to create occlusion. I do recall reading some time back about a japanese study that showed increase muscle size with occlusion training. However if I recall they were putting a cuff on the lug and cutting off the blood flow while doing leg extensions. This causes a cascade of hormone reactions in the cells.  I also think it was debunked sometime later. I have to find the study.

What I have been doing the last week is after I am finished with my workout, I find the last isolation exercise i.e  Leg extension, Leg curl, Bicep machine curl etc. and I will do 5 sets of contraction holds.  i will take a weight about 50 to 60% of my 1 rep max, do 4 reps and on the 5th rep hold the contractions.  Most research I have seen says to hold it 30 seconds or longer to get the effect.  Today after legs I did this on Leg extensions and Leg curls,   I had one of the best pumps of the week in my quads and it felt great. Women can benefit from this as well. especially if your looking to tone, drop fat and want to shape up the muscle without adding to much bulk.  Hold that last rep for 30-45 secs   rest  and do that a few more times when finishing each body part. Results should start to show over time.

as with everything in Bodybuilding, nothing happens over night. Be patient and keep hitting the iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment